Some advice I thought I’d pass along (a post from a while back with some new additions).
1. If someone says to you that your high school or college years will be the best of your life, run away from these people as fast as you can. That’s just depressing.
2. Save money. This may seem like a no-brainer, but trust me: having money is a lot better than being broke.
3. Good credit is more important than love. You’ll find love eventually, but if you mess up your credit you’re screwed.
4. If you fail at something, don’t freak out about it. You really do learn as much from your failures as your successes.
5. “I’m really not sure what to do next” is not a reason to go to graduate school.
6. Don’t be one of those people who constantly talks about their grades, athletic success, or anything else that happened in school. People stop caring about this stuff one hour after you receive your diploma/degree.
7. If you find yourself in jail, act crazy. The others will stay away from you.
8. Your parents are smarter than you think. I know this doesn’t seem true now but it is.
9. Working is usually better than not working. See #2.
10. To high school graduates: when you get to college, you will meet a lot of assholes.
11. To college graduates: Same when you get a job.
12. Read books, of all kinds. Read, read, read, read, read.
13. Move out of your hometown. And if you need/want to stay in your hometown, live some place else first and then come back to it.
14. Sunny weather is fine, but learn how to appreciate the rain and snow.
15. Don’t tweet. Nothing good ever happens on Twitter.
16. It’s amazing what a simple “thank you” or “I’m sorry” can do. For the person you say it to and yourself.
17. Kindness is a superpower.
18. Don’t envy anyone. It’s a waste of time.
19. Have an interest in things that happened before you were born. People, events, movies, TV, music, everything.
20. Put your phone down. Seriously, just put it down.
21. The best app? Pen and paper.
22. Take a second and breathe before you speak. Don’t be in a hurry just to get a word in.
23. You can’t control what other people do. But you can control how you react to it.
24. You can tell a lot about a person by how they act at the supermarket. Say hello to the cashier, put the divider after your groceries for the next person, and return your cart to the corral when you’re done.
25. Don’t be the type of person who would go on a reality show.
26. Naps are underrated.
27. New Year’s Eve is overrated.
28. Don’t put tomatoes in the fridge.
29. Underbake cookies a little bit.
30. You can never have too many batteries.
31. Shemp is just as funny as Curly. Don’t let anyone tell you he isn’t.